Friday, May 05, 2006

Day 288

After getting my nails done, Sanity and I stopped at Petco to pick up some goldfish for the newly cleaned up pond. We headed into the fish department and Sanity pretty much freaked out. She went from heeling to lagging and finally activelly pulling back. She wouldn't sit and she kept on trying to hide behind me.

It took me a little bit to figure out what the problem was. Turns out she was AFARID of the FISH!! I couldn't believe it, but there it was right in front of my eyes. She would stare at an eye level tank of fish and the instant they started to swim her way all she wanted to do was get OUT OF THERE. So what was supposed to be a quick trip turned into a long, drawn-out series of enforced sit/stays. She finally settled down and agreed that she had been pretty silly about the entire thing. We then went on to pick up a few other things without a hitch.

When I started to really think about it, I finally realized that as many times as we had been in that store in the past, never once did we go in the fish section. It just never occured to me that there would be a problem. But in thinking back I realize that I never had a problem with Wrap because I don't think her vision ever was very good. Frankly, I don't think she even noticed there were things in the tanks. I should have realized Sanity would be different since she sometimes watches TV and Wrap doesn't even know it is in the room.

Then in the evening I decided I wanted to review one of the DVD's I had shot earlier in the week. Well, you could hear my voice loud and clear. At one point I happened to call Sanity. When that happened on the TV, Sanity just about when crazy. She jumped up and charged the TV. Then she tried to get around behind it and all the time she was crying and barking and then she would run to me only to turn around and rush back to the TV and stare at the picture. I finally had to send her outside so I could watch in peace and not worry about her knocking the TV over, smashing the camcorder or just plain having a nervous break-down.

Overall, I would say she had a very trying day.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:44 AM

    LOL Welcome back, Sanity! And Margot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:25 AM

    With either your own dog or with client's dogs do you ever use "jollying"? With the fish did you consider lightening her mood in addition to the sit stays?

    Melissa Stagnaro
    Alexandria, VA

    ReplyDelete
  3. See blog entry for 5/9 for a complete answer to this question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:25 AM

    thanks... will watch for it. Melissa

    ReplyDelete