Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Day 180

Around the world of Sanity in 180 days. At some point in just the last few days, Sanity has gone from pesty puppy to playground director. I just realized that not only is she the one leading all the mischief, but she is also the one everyone is looking to when they want action/play/adventure. When Sanity has to come in the house to do "housework" all the dogs in the yard just sort of drop in their tracks and fall asleep.

I just came across this quote and I think I shall embrace it.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin


Even though it is cold and damp outside I did manage to get in some training time working on the remote sit. It is slowly getting better. I can now get her to sit on a single command from about 8' away. That may not seem like a very big deal but for one thing. I only give the command when she is very busy and pretty much totally engaged in something of great interest to her. This means I only get to practice it maybe 3 or 4 times on any given day.

Here I just gave her a sit command that meant she had to leave the stick to Lilly and sit facing me. She did it on the single command, but as you can see that sure isn't a smile on her face.
If it were summertime and I was outside all the time, then we would get in far more practice. It isn't summer, it is that dire and dreaded, most worst time of the year as far as I am concerned. Winter! How I long for sun, warmth, green trees and grass. How many days do I still have before they finally get here? That said, is it any wonder that her outside skills are taking so long?

Her skill at manipulating others just keeps on improving as can be seen here:

She is fearless and takes on all comers.And when lack of weight or your youth get in the way of success then do the grovel number and still get what you want. Right after this picture was shot, Marley walked away in total disgust and Sanity pranced off with the stick.

A little bit later Marley and Lilly turned up playing with a ball and you guessed it, Sanity was no longer interested in the stick. Never fear, I did step in and send her to the "corner" for poor playground manners (after I took the picture).

In the retrieve department she is blowing hot and cold. One minute she is volunteering to pick up a dropped Coke bottle and the next she is flat refusing to pick up a toy. Since refusals are not a option around here, she had to pick up the toy 3 more times, just because she refused it once. Later this evening we will head for the studio and work on the stand command. Hope it isn't too hard on my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment