Monday, September 19, 2005

Day 60

Poor, poor Sanity. Today was the day we were supposed to test the one inch retrieve. So the distractions were set up and everything was readied for the test. "Sanity, sit." Sanity sat. I started to snug up her collar when I realized she was doing all sorts of strange things with her mouth. Sticking her tongue out, chewing motions, sucking sounds, puffing her lips in and out. Strange behavior indeed.

Put the dumbbell down and opened her mouth. I fully expected to find a piece of a stick wedged in the roof of her mouth. Nope, that wasn't the problem. So I let go of her jaw and turn to pick the dumbbell up. The strange behavior starts up again.

I open her mouth again. This time I really open it and peer down her throat. Nope, that's not the problem. Let go of her jaw again and start back for the dumbbell. The strange behavior starts up again.

This time, instead of opening her mouth I simple lift her upper lips. I really was expecting to find a piece of wood stuck between her teeth or jammed into her gum. Instead I see blood, a gaping hole where a puppy tooth had formally resided and a second tooth just hanging by a thread of flesh.

Like I said, poor, poor Sanity. It has been a very long time since I had a pup who had as much trouble with her teething as Sanity is having. Needless to say, the retrieve test was posponed for another day. In fact, Sanity spent the better part of the day curled up under my desk sleeping. We will both be very glad when this teething business is out of the way.

She did come out and help with the intake of a 5 month old GSD who is here as a board and train. My first impression of said pup is to question whether or not GSD is the correct title. I would sort of vote for land shark myself. Nasty piece of work and a very good thing she got here when she did. To have waited much longer and I very much doubt I could have helped her. As it is, she is looking at some serious "jail" time for the next couple of days until she settles down enough to actually see what is going on around her. Meanwhile, Sanity was just as cool and calm and collected as I could have ever wanted. The GSD owner just kept saying, "will you please teach my puppy to be like yours?"

I said I would do my best. What I wanted to say is "why in the H did you take a 7 week old pup and then proceed to treat it like a human?" But I was a good girl and smiled, kept my thoughts to myself and promised I would take lots of pictures.

After check in Sanity marched right back in the house and went back to bed. Dinner time found her really struggling to eat. In fact, it was the first time she didn't finish her dinner. She spent so much time trying to eat that she was very late arriving for the Monday night class. By the time she finally came outside it was dark and we were working under the floodlights. That really threw her for a loop. The barking and carrying on lasted until she finally managed to locate me. Then we all had to listen to her complain about what? Not being told? We didn't wait for her? She missed a bunch of good stuff? Finally she managed to get herself back together again and hung around until class was over.

She sure is a verbal little bitch. The interesting thing is that she is actually starting to make sense to me. Hummm...Wonder what that says about me?

No comments:

Post a Comment