Sunday, February 12, 2006

Day 206

Snow. Ten inches of nasty, cold, slippery white stuff that most likely won't go away for days and days. I hate snow. When it snows I don't even want to stick my nose out. That being the case I am sorry to report there are no pictures of how this crazy puppy greeted the arrival of the first big snow of the winter.

Keep in mind that every Doberman I have ever owned has felt exactly the same way I do about the evil white stuff. Every Doberman that is until this one. This one seems to think it is very fine stuff. She was quite happy to go out and run, jump, spin, twirl, do back flips, and nose dives. She ate it and yes she even peed in it. Unbelievable, just totally unbelievable.

On the training front, it will be a while before I take a training day off on that we have started scent work. We got in two sessions today and again she struggled with the taboo scent. This time it was my son who scented up the taboo article. Then since I knew she really didn't get enough outside activity we went down to the studio and worked on the broad jump, high jump, retrieve over the high jump and the retrieve on the flat. Right now what I am seeing as a down side is my lack of stamina. She would have been good for a good solid hour long work-out and I pooped out after only thirty minutes. On the up side, you are supposed to leave them wanting more and I sure don't have to worry about over working this one.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:05 AM

    Ahhhh, but you must understand that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and in this case "like mother, like daughter"
    Sambucca is my only dobe that likes the snow the rest think she is a freak of nature!! LOL

    Cathie
    Breeder of this wonderful "Sanity"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I happen to think she is a freak of nature as well. So there. One additional thing I failed to add to the day's account. Only had one dog here boarding and he a Wheaton Terrier. Do any of you have any idea just what a Wheaton snowball looks like?

    MissSanity found him to be a great toy. She pushed him and rolled him and tried to toss him with her nose. By the time they came in this poor dog was totally covered with hanging balls of solid ice. It took the better part of 2 hours just to get the ice off of him and for him to start drying out. BLECH!! I will never understand why anyone would want to live with that sort of coat.

    Meanwhile, don't feel sorry for the fellow. He had every chance to get away from her. It was his choice to become a snowball and he was slower about wanting to come in than she was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:24 AM

    Margot,
    When you teach the Scent Work do you handle the article you want retrieved and have someone else handle the "taboo" article to mark them?
    Stay Safe,
    Mike Crimens

    Bayern, Germany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike,
    Since the first time I am most likely to use scent work is in the "unnatural" environment of the AKC utility ring, I handle the article I want her to find. Down the road at some point I will switch her over to "the article that doesn't fit", which is how I think of finding other things.

    ReplyDelete